Espresso is an Italian coffee beverage made by pumping small amounts of boiling water with pressure into coffee grounds, which results in espresso with a thick consistency and high concentration. Nearly every coffee recipe includes espresso, be it latte or cappuccino.
Therefore, we have brought you a list of top 8 Best Italian Espresso machines of 2021 so you donâ€™t have to search for a perfect espresso maker on your own.
Authentic espressos require fresh coffee beans with the right amount of roast intensity and the perfect amount of water with a good pressure. For normal people like us, making espressos manually is a tedious task to do.
That’s when Italian espresso makers come to help with their multiple features and ability to give you the authentic Italian espresso taste and distinct aroma.
We check the quality and features of any product with precision to provide our readers with the best knowledge of any product.
We truly based this article on our personal experiences, our genuine global surveys and online sources so that your choosing process becomes easier and you won’t regret your choice.
- Best Italian Espresso Machines
- 1. Breville BES870XL Barista Express-User Friendly
- 2. DeLonghi EC155 15 Bar Espresso maker-Makes great Espresso
- 3. De’Longhi EC680M Espresso-Sleek and compact design
- 4. De’Longhi La Specialista Espresso Machine-A perfect Grinder
- 5. Gevi Espresso Machine-With removable drip tray
- 6. Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
- 7. Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine-Easy to maintain
- 8. Delonghi super-automatic Espresso Coffee Machine
- Benefits of using an Italian Espresso machine
- Saves money
- Easy to use
- Variety of choices
- How to clean an espresso machine?
- Descaling an Espresso Machine
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Italian Espresso Machines
1. Breville BES870XL Barista Express-User FriendlyBest Pick
Why we love it?
- Comes with an inbuilt coffee grinder and lets you control the coffee grind size with an easy-to-use dial.
- The inbuilt steam wand starts working within seconds and provides you a microfoam milk texture.
- Can make mouthwatering espressos and other coffee recipes within minutes.
Breville brand is well known for its quality kitchen appliances and popular in the coffee world for its manual coffee makers to super automatic espresso makers with premium features.
This model tops the list of Best Italian Espresso machines of 2021 for its versatility and amazing features. Additionally, its integrated coffee grinder with controlled grinding skills works within a minute.
The Barista series model also includes a feature that goes on increasing pressure on the water for perfect extraction at each level.
Moreover, the inbuilt steam wander will offer you a perfect microfoam texture of milk for making a delicious and beautiful latte art. Lastly, the stainless steel built makes it heavier and long lasting.
- User friendly.
- Inbuilt Milk frother.Â
- Easy to clean.
- Inbuilt coffee grinder.
The reason this Breville barista series model is at the top of our list is because it is one of the best espresso machines under $1000 with all the top features you will look for in a commercial model as well as an espresso maker at home.
Thinking about the looks, it looks amazing with the precise finishing. Moreover, there are two color options to choose from, namely: sesame black and stainless steel.
Additionally, you don’t have to buy an external coffee grinder because this model has an integrated coffee grinder with a grind size dial too.
Therefore, you should definitely get this one if you are searching for the Best commercial Espresso machine within a good price range.
2. DeLonghi EC155 15 Bar Espresso maker-Makes great Espresso
Why we love it?
- Cheap in price as compared to other Italian Espresso machines.
- The inbuilt manual milk frother is well known for frothing milk instantly.
- Moreover, the 15 bar pressure pump can easily brew an espresso shot with a balanced extraction.
Popular among the masses for its cappuccino making skills, this DeLonghi espresso maker is the best you can get at such a cheap price range. It has everything an espresso lover desires for, including adjustable controls which can be modified for a personalized experience.
Moreover, the attached manual milk frother with nice mobility lets you experience the best coffee with a smooth Crema layer on the top within minutes.
Additionally, the quick heating system lets you brew two cups of coffee simultaneously within minutes of starting the machine, and it also maintains an optimum temperature if you want to brew more cups.
The twin brewing cycle makes sure you don’t run out of time while brewing coffee. Also, you can clean it with no hassle because all the removable parts are dishwasher safe.
- Removable parts.Â
- Heats up quickly.
- makes great espresso.
- Hard to clean.
- Small Milk wander.
A compact Italian espresso machine with all excellent features, cheap price and a stylish design will work best for people with less kitchen space and less budget. Moreover, it is light in weight so that you can easily carry it around.
Additionally, the attached manual milk wander works perfectly and froths out milk with creamy texture. However, it is a bit short in length. The water container capacity of 1 liter is able to brew 7-8 coffee cups in one go.
According to our surveys, it is one of the best Espresso machines under $150. Therefore, we will love to recommend this DeLonghi Espresso machine at a good price range.
3. De’Longhi EC680M Espresso-Sleek and compact design
Why we love it?
- The compact and sleek design is made to fit anywhere on your kitchen top.
- You won’t have to worry about the amount of espresso in your cup because of its automatic stop feature.
- It also includes a feature that maintains the optimal temperature so that you can make as many cups you need without a break.
DeLonghi with a variety of models with distinct features never disappoints us. The DeLonghi EC680M model is one such model popular for its espresso making skills within no time. The premium looks with stainless steel finish and compact design will definitely be an eye-catcher at your home.
Moreover, features such as automatic flow stop serves the right amount of espresso every time and you can also modify it.
It also maintains an optimal temperature between brewing so it won’t waste much of your precious time in heating. Additionally, the good build quality will make it last for a minimum of 5 years.
However, unlike other espresso makers, this one only includes one boiler, but it is capable of brewing every coffee recipe with precision for you.
- Nice design.
- 6 inch footprint.
- Attached steam wand.
- 15 bar pressure pump.
- Small drip tray.
Unlike many other Italian espresso makers, this model will take a small space on your kitchen counter. With all its premium features, it is also listed in our top 6 Best espresso machines under $500.
It is the best choice for people who want to invest in a good and long-lasting espresso maker with small spaces.
However, the only downfall of this model is that it can’t fit larger coffee cups below the nozzle. But trust us all other good quality features overshadow this only one problem. Hence it will be a superb choice for home usage with easy-to-use functions.
4. De’Longhi La Specialista Espresso Machine-A perfect Grinder
Why we love it?
- Perfect option for professional coffee makers or people thinking of having a commercial coffee business.
- Available in three different color options for matching your kitchenâ€™s color scheme.
- Includes a dual heating system for separately heating coffee and milk.
Available in three trendy color options and high end features, this espresso maker is popular amongst commercial coffee makers for offering authentic Italian espressos with ease.
Like many other Espresso makers, this model also includes a coffee grinder, but the specialty is it uses a sensor that lets you know when the machine runs out of beans while grinding.
Moreover, you can control the coffee temperature and milk temperature independently. Also, the attached steam wand offers milk with a microfoam texture perfect for making latte art.
Lastly, a warranty of 3 years is more than enough for a machine to be the best.
- Grinder works perfectly.
- Worth the price.
- Two independent heating systems.
- Inbuilt milk frother.
- Big in size.
Espresso machines manufactured by DeLonghi are popular for their quality of espressos and long-lasting lifespan. This Specialista is one such model with all premium and semi-automatic features and also one of the best commercial espresso machines under $1000.
Many commercial coffee makers we know and as per our surveys are happy with their purchases. The dual heating system, hot water spout, sensor grinder is what makes it special among all these listed machines.
Therefore, you can consider this option if you are thinking of starting a commercial coffee business or searching for a new espresso maker.
5. Gevi Espresso Machine-With removable drip trayBudget Pick
Why we love it?
- Heat up time of only 2 minutes, which is the lowest of all these machines.
- Has a pressure pump which exerts a pressure of up to 15 bars for a creamy espresso shot.
- With the removable drip tray/ cup holder you can easily accommodate larger cup sizes.
Nothing in this world would be more pleasurable than having a cup of your favorite coffee while relaxing. With this Gevi espresso machine you can make any cafe style coffee at your home easily.
It has everything a premium coffee maker must have such as good water container capacity, inbuilt milk frother, temperature control system, and nice cleaning functions.
The steam wander allows you to adjust the steam and foam levels. Moreover, you can also control the temperature of coffee and milk differently.
Additionally, the water container capacity is more than enough to brew 10 espressos at once. Therefore, it will work best for a large family or a sizable group of people.
- Removable drip tray.
- Dual temperature control.
- Easy to use controls.
- Visual control panels.
- Weak build quality.
- May leak.
The Gevi espresso machine is specially made for domestic use. Moreover, with its lightweight and compact design, it can fit anywhere.
According to our personal experience and surveys, people love the good quality features Gevi offers at a cheap price range.
It is not a commercial machine, as it lacks the features you will need for a coffee business. The build quality is somehow weak, so handle it with care if you buy this model.
All the features work perfectly according to its price range, so go for it if you need an espresso maker at a cheap price.
6. Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
Why we love it?
- Super automatic Italian espresso machine with all the premium features.
- It comes with a Front loading water reservoir and dregs drawer for easy access.Â
- It is a classic-looking Italian espresso machine with stainless steel front panels.
Gaggia is also one of the leading and trusted brands well known for making espresso machines for home as well as commercial use. The top selling super automatic espresso machine has a LED display for an easy-to-use experience.
Moreover, the attached manual milk wand with good mobility froths milk with perfection.
Additionally, an inbuilt coffee grinder gives you the freedom of using either whole beans or ground coffee. The easy to use and understand buttons makes it easier for elders and newcomers.
Unlike many other espresso machines, the Gaggia model offers an easy access front loaded water reservoir, drip tray, and dregs drawer. Lastly, Gaggia also offers a one-year warranty on all their espresso machines.
- Self-cleaning feature.
- Customizable settings.Â
- Mid priced.
- Larger cups may not fit.
The features of this model are up to the mark as per the price range. Moreover, the LED display makes the controls more understandable. The inbuilt ceramic burr grinder gives you an option to use whole coffee beans as per your choice.
This model will work best if you have a good budget and want to invest in a good espresso maker.
Moreover, it is easy to clean with its front access removable parts and self-cleaning functions. However, the cup size is limited to up to 4.5â€™â€™ so it canâ€™t accommodate cup sizes larger than specified.
7. Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine-Easy to maintain
Why we love it?
- It is one of the top selling commercial model for years.
- The 58mm porta filter which is patented makes extraction easier.
- The steaming wand comes with a complete range of motion and temperature control.
Searching for an espresso maker for commercial business? If yes, then this Silvia model manufactured by Rancilio will work wonders for you.
This semi-automatic commercial model has a simple user interface with stainless steel side panels for a long-lasting usage with no recurring costs. It has a water container capacity of 0.3 liters. However, you can fill it anytime you need.Â
The porta filter of 58mm is used in this model for a better extraction. Moreover, the attached stainless steel steam wand can froth creamy and delicious milk within seconds. Lastly, there are two models to choose from so get the one which suits you and your needs.
- Easy maintenance.
- Good build quality.
- Long lasting.
- Provides real espressos.
Silvia manufactured from Rancilio is one of the best commercial espresso machines to date. Its semi-automatic features can make a cup or two espressos within minutes. However, it doesn’t include an inbuilt coffee grinder, so you have to buy one externally.
You can absolutely use this machine at home because it has everything you will require for making a cafe style cappuccino or latte at home.
The extraction system is what many coffee lovers would appreciate. Moreover, it also has a sturdy and compact design. Therefore, you should definitely go for this one for its espresso making skills and outstanding quality.
8. Delonghi super-automatic Espresso Coffee MachineStaff Pick
Why we love it?
- Customizable intensity of espresso, temperature, and amount of milk.
- Can brew two cups of coffee at once.
- Includes an inbuilt coffee grinder that has 13 different coffee grinding settings.
DeLonghi is a popular brand among coffee lovers and brewers from all over the world for their machines, with high-end features offered at an excellent price range.
This multifunctional, super-automatic espresso machine has a lot of superb features to talk about.
Firstly, the inbuilt coffee grinder with adjustable settings that lets you use whole beans. Secondly, the easy-to-use controls that lets you control the brewing parameters such as size, temperature and type.
Moreover, the double boiler system helps you in making 2 cups at once and saves time.
Lastly, unlike many other espresso makers, this model includes fully automatic cleaning and descaling functions with indicators that let you know the perfect time for cleaning.
- Super automatic.
- Automatic cleaning and descaling.
- Easy to use controls.
- Makes delicious espressos.
- High maintenance.
Coming from one of the most trusted and renowned brand named DeLonghi this super-automatic espresso maker wonâ€™t disappoint you. The fully automatic functions work on a single touch with a great speed to offer you the best espresso to start your day.
However, the espresso maker is an expensive one but with all its high-end features and long life span it will be a good investment in the longer run.
Therefore, coffee enthusiasts with a good budget and no time to make coffee should definitely go for this one as it makes quality espressos within no time.
Benefits of using an Italian Espresso machine
Espresso is a traditional Italian drink now famous all over the world for its thicker consistency and energy it provides. Making a cup of espresso manually is a hard and time-consuming process and if you don’t have any experience, it won’t taste good as per your expectations.
With this in mind espresso machines were invented which can give us a Barista style delicious espresso at home any time.
Here are some of the benefits of using an espresso machine:
Espresso machines come in a varied price range so that anyone with a decent budget can easily afford an espresso machine.
Moreover, getting a high-end espresso maker will be an excellent choice in the long run because the build quality, coffee quality and other additional features will make it last long.
Additionally, you can also save money by brewing coffee at home without visiting the expensive cafe for a cup of coffee.
Easy to use
Espresso machines, be it manual or super-automatic, are always easy to use. However, the manual espresso makers would require some experience which let you make professional level coffee recipes at home.
The semi-automatic espresso machines have a good user-friendly interface with minimum manual work. On the other hand, super-automatic espresso machines have all the inbuilt features that work with a single touch.
Nowadays all espresso makers come with many features other than simply brewing coffee. Cheap espresso makers also include basic features such as attached steam wander, adjustable controls.
Moreover, with the budget, features such as inbuilt coffee grinder with grind size dial, temperature control settings different for coffee and milk, automatic cleaning and descaling functions will be included.
Espresso machines take a very less amount of time to make any coffee recipe. The heat up time varies according to the model.
However, you can easily make coffee recipes within minutes with features such as maintaining an optimal temperature between two cups, dual or triple boilers which can simultaneously brew more than one cup.
Variety of choices
Unlike Nespresso and Keurig machines, these machines do not use expensive coffee capsules or pods.
Moreover, many espresso machines have an inbuilt coffee grinder so that you can use whole coffee beans of your preference directly and you can also use coffee grounds directly.
Therefore, no need to invest in the expensive disposable coffee capsules which are responsible for enormous heaps of waste.
How to clean an espresso machine?
Espresso machines should be cleaned regularly and maintained accordingly. Cleaning and descaling espresso machines regularly will result in a longer life span of your machine and consistent coffee quality.
Moreover, the functionality increases. Many high-end models have automatic cleaning and descaling functions with a descaling detector too.
It is advised to clean your espresso machine daily if you use it frequently. Additionally, it should be descaled every 2 months for better functionality and longer life span.
Here are some steps you can perform to clean an espresso machine weekly.
You will require these following items- mild soap solution, non-metallic brush, cleaning agent, damp cloth, water.
- Remove the porta filter and clean the group head with a clean brush to remove the remaining coffee residue.
- Place blind baskets by removing the brewing baskets.
- Add one spoon of cleaning agent to the blind baskets and reattach the porta filter to the group head.
- Fill the water reservoir with full capacity and start the cleaning cycle, refer the user manual for more information.
- Once your machine is cleaned internally, disassemble the removable parts namely: porta.
- filter, water reservoir, drip tray, brewing and blind baskets.
- Wash and rinse them with a mild soap solution and water. Moreover, use a non metallic brush to remove the coffee oils and residue.
- Dry these parts with a damp cloth. And reattach them.
- With a cleaning solution clean the exterior of the machine with a wet damp cloth. Wipe the steam wand carefully and do not use a scrubber on it.
Thatâ€™s how you clean an espresso machine weekly.
Descaling an Espresso Machine
Espresso machines should be descaled every 2 months because the mineral build up will affect your coffee quality and taste and decrease life span.
Here are some easy steps you should follow to descaling an espresso machine.
You will require the following items for descaling- descaling agent, water, mild soap solution.
- Buy any descaling agent of your choice, which is available commercially.
- Take the right amount of water specified on the descaling agent sachet and mix it well with the agent, thatâ€™s how we make a descaling agent.
- Fill the water reservoir with this descaling solution. Similar to brewing a coffee.
- Start the espresso machine and start the cleaning cycle.
- Do not forget to place a small container or cup to collect the water with scale residue.
- Repeat the process once more with the same water for better results.
- Lastly, take tap water and run the cleaning cycle so that your machine will be ready for its next brew.
- Wash and dry the water reservoir for getting rid of the smelly chemicals and reattach it.
Thatâ€™s how we clean an espresso machine with no hassle and minimal equipment.For more detailed information check out our article- how to clean Espresso machine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use regular Coffee for Espresso?
You have the freedom to use any coffee ground which suits you, but espresso grounds are finer than regular coffee grounds so they won’t be able to provide the high caffeine shot and distinct aroma you need in an espresso.
How long should an Espresso Machine last?
As per your maintenance and quality of model, the lifespan of every machine varies. But on an average espresso machines should last for a minimum 5 years which makes it an excellent investment.
How frequently should you descale an Espresso maker?
We recommend you to descale your espresso machine every two months. However, the descaling frequency depends on the quality of the water you use.
Can you make Coffee with an Espresso Machine?
No, you canâ€™t make a filtered coffee with an espresso machine because there is a lot of difference between both of them, be it ground size, extraction method or process of making.
Do Espresso Machines grind beans?
Yes, many high-end espresso machines have an inbuilt coffee grinder with variable grind size so you can directly use coffee beans for a freshly brewed espresso cup.
In this article we have included some espresso machines having inbuilt coffee grinders, check out those.
Espresso is used in literally each coffee recipe, be it cappuccino or latte macchiato. With the need for time and fast lifestyles, coffee lovers had no time to visit their favorite coffee or make it on their own. Thatâ€™s when espresso makers came to help with their inbuilt grinders, milk wanders and all other superb multiple features.
There are a variety of espresso machines available right now, but we chose the top selling and Best italian espresso machines of 2021 for making your selection process easier.